In 2014, the Judges of the 12th Judicial Circuit selected Lamar as one of 10 “Legal Legends” among living and deceased lawyers and judges in Sarasota. Lamar has provided legal services to a diverse group of clients with varying complex legal issues. They include The School Board of Sarasota County, the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Department, Sarasota County’s Administrator, the Sarasota-Manatee Airport Authority, Palm Beach County, and the City of Gainesville, Florida. Cases have included diverse matters of eminent domain, inverse condemnation, Federal tort claims, and matters before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals. During the first term of Bob Graham as Governor of Florida, Lamar served as his General Counsel.
A graduate of the public schools of Sarasota and Manatee Counties, Stetson University, and the University of Florida Levin College of Law, Lamar has also served the Bar and community in a number of roles. He has served as president of his law school student body, and the Florida Bar Young Lawyers’ Division. He has been a member of the Board of Governors of the Florida Bar and the Florida Board of Bar Examiners. He has also served on the Federal Judicial Nominating Commission for Florida, the judicially appointed Grievance Committee for the Federal District Court, Tampa, Middle District of Florida, and numerous other positions relating to the legal profession.
Lamar is married to Dr. Janet Matthews, an historian and author of a number of books concerning Florida history. From 1990-2003, she was Florida’s State Historic Preservation Officer and headed the Division of Historic Resources within the Department of State in Tallahassee. From 2004-2009, Dr. Matthews served as Associate Director for Cultural Resources for the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., where she was Keeper of the National Register of Historic Places. From 2009 to date, she has been at the University of Florida, first as a Scholar in Residence in the Masters and Doctorate program in Historic Preservation, College of Design, Construction & Planning, and currently as advisor to the Vice President for University Relations to promote UF’s historical St. Augustine properties through the UF website, social media, media relations, and other marketing vehicles.
- JD. University of Florida 1967 (replaced LL.B. conferred 1964)
- BA. Stetson University 1961
- All Florida Courts 1964
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida 1966
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court 1985
- U.S. Claims Court 1987
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Rating Martindale Hubbell 36 years
- America’s Top Lawyers, Business Litigation 2001-2002
- Gulf Coast Business Review, Top Lawyers of Sarasota and Manatee 2002
- Super Lawyers, Top Attorneys in Florida 2007
- Florida Super Lawyers 2009-2014
- Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court Professionalism Award 2008
- Top Attorneys in Sarasota, Sarasota Magazine Super Lawyer Section 2009
- Top Attorneys in Florida, Wall Street Journal 2011
- Florida’s Best Lawyers, Bet the Company Litigation 2014
- Super Lawyers, Tampa’s Super Lawyers 2015
- Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Real Estate – Sarasota 2017
- Judge Lynn N. Silvertooth Award – Outstanding Service to the Judiciary
Memberships & Involvement
- The Florida Bar
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar Board of Governors, Past Member
- Florida Board of Bar Examiners, Past Member
- Federal Judicial Nominating Commission, Florida, Past Member
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, Grievance Committee, Past Member
- General Counsel to Governor Bob Graham
- Sarasota Kiwanis Club, Past President and National Convention Delegate
- Manatee Community College n/k/a State College of Florida, Former Trustee
- Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon for Muscular Dystrophy, Former Local Co-Anchor
- Sarasota Boys Club Telethon, Former Co-Anchor
- Cardinal Mooney High School Telethon, Former Co-Anchor
- Florida West Coast Symphony Orchestra, Past Board of Directors
- American Lung Association, Sarasota-Manatee Chapter, Past Board of Directors
- Manatee Jaycees, Past Board of Directors
- Sarasota United Way, Past Board of Directors; Chair, Professional Division
- Manatee Players, Actor
- Master of Ceremonies for many Manatee and Sarasota Community Events
Recent From The Blog
The Sarasota Bar Association’s Council for Diversity and Inclusion held a tour of the Embracing Our Differences Art Exhibit. Since 2004, Embracing Our Differences has used the power of art and prose to promote diversity.
Matthews Eastmoore was recently named a 2019 “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News & Best Lawyers. The firm is regionally ranked in 5 practice areas.
The writer, who has 350 million books published and counting, was the speaker for the annual luncheon, where David Bavar earned the right to be written into a future Patterson novel with his $30,000 gift to the foundation–the highest donation of the day.